HANDMADE JOURNAL for August RAK @ PAPER CRAFT PLANET

I'm a newer member of Paper Craft Planet, and earlier this summer I joined the Group

'We Love to Send a RAK'.

The July Challenge that I joined was to make a handmade Journal that would represent my Country Flag using my own creative interpretation. It was to be sent to another member who would send you a handmade journal in return.  I couldn't post it sooner because my swap partner would have seen it, and that would spoil the surprise. This is what I came up with, from begining to end result:


I started with color core paper by co'rdinations.  White wash on the front textured side with a red color core.  I used an embossing folder that has the shape of a HEART made up of old fashioned skeleton keys for the center of the flag where normally you would have the Canadian Maple Leaf.  I thought this appropriately represents the Country I love & live in.  After embossing the heart, I sanded the raised embossed heart and a strip down either side to reveal the red color core center. 
 That's my interpretation of the CANADIAN FLAG!


Part of the challenge was to add RIBBON to the Journal in some manner.  I chose to add it to the coil bound spine.  I tied even lengths of peace sign and gingham patterned ribbon in an alternating fashion. 


The inside front cover I used red cardstock and I sprayed it with Adirondak spray, over a 'Tattered Angels' stencil.  I LOVE how it looks. 


I forgot to take pictures of the inside back cover.  There I used a soft reddish pink cardstock in a plaid type pattern.  I made a pocket from cardstock that I printed with the dictionary definition seen in above photo.  It was taken from an old encyclopedia circa late 1800-1900's.  I also used this same definition on the inside first page.

I used a red wire coil to to bind the journal together using my new zutter book binder.  This was one of the first books I made with it.

I was VERY PLEASED with he end result  shown below.




Now I want one for myself!

2 comments:

ursula Uphof said...

As the recipient of the lovely journal, I must say how pleased I am to read about how you made it and why you used the various items. It just means a lot more now. Thank you so much Cathie, for his lovely piece of work and your first one at that, I am honoured. Warm wishes.

Karen Oliver said...

Wow Cathie this is wonderful and what a great idea to publish this on your blog. I agree with Ursula its lovely to read about how you interpreted the challeange and what your thinking was. Thank you for sharing this and its lovely to have you join us At We love to send a RAK.